I’ve got a bit of a thing for Mary Berry’s recipes. My mission is to make everything in her Complete Cookbook, but as finding time to bake/cook is becoming increasingly difficult, and there are over 1000 recipes to get through, I’ll be here till Christmas, 2025. But there’s nothing quite like a rainy Sunday stuck indoors to get inspired to bake. Especially if there's nothing good on the tele. I thought I’d try this Irish soda bread recipe as it’s quick and easy and the aroma of freshly baked bread has made the house smell gorgeous. Also, Irish soda bread doesn't have any yeast in it, which is always a good thing in my view. Find out how to make the recipe here…
Mary Berry’s Irish soda bread recipe
Cuts into 8 wedges / 227 cals each
500 g (1 lb) plain white flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
300 ml (1/2 pint) buttermilk or half milk and half plain yogurt
90 ml (3 fl oz) lukewarm water
Sunflower oil for greasing
1. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl. Pour in the buttermilk, or milk and yogurt, and the measured water. Mix with a wooden spoon or your hands to form a very soft dough.
2. Lighting oil a baking tray. Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured work surface and shape round measuring 18 cm (7 in) in diameter.
3. Place the loaf on the prepared baking tray and cut a deep cross in the top.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°c (180°c fan, Gas 6) for 30 minutes.
5. Turn the bread over and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Cool on a wire rack. Serve on the day of making.
Recipe taken from Mary Berry's Complete Cookbool (DK).
If you're looking for tools for your kitchen such as timers, scales and knives, then check out the Zazzenhaus promotion at ACHICA.
The ACHICA Living blog brings you style inspiration from ACHICA.
Already a member of ACHICA.com? Click here for current shopping promotions.
Not yet a member? It’s free to join ACHICA.com to get your daily dose of shopping promotions.
Like the ACHICA Facebook page here.
Follow ACHICA on Pinterest here
For beautiful furniture, accessories and daily design ideas for your home and lifestyle,
shop at ACHICA.
Emily Peck, Editor
View all posts by Emily Peck, Editor