Finally, some blue sky! Well, a little bit, before it starts raining again. Still, we’re ever optimistic, so blue is this month’s colour. From ancient Chinese ceramics, to Greek hill tops and crisp French linen, blue and white is a classic colour combination that you can’t go too far wrong with. Just keep your whites clean and your blues crisp.
With its associations with relaxed holidays in the sun, blue is a restful colour, so it’s perfect for bedrooms and guest rooms. It can be a subtle way to introduce a seaside theme without going crazy.
It’s a cool colour so avoid using it in North facing rooms, or cooler climates – it works best with the sunshine.
Top four facts about blue:
1. Blue is said to suppress appetite, so not a good choice for the kitchen, unless you’re on a diet!
2. The colour of the sea and the sky, blue is considered a calming colour.
3. Blue is for boys, but that hasn’t always been the case: “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger colour, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.” (Ladies’ Home Journal article, June 1918.)
4. Blue is the most popular choice of colour for toothbrushes.
“Artists can colour the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who aren't artists must colour things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid.” (Jules Feiffer)
Top five songs with blue in the title:
- All Blues - Miles Davis (from the album Kind of Blue)
- Blue Monday - New Order
- Blue Eyes - Elton John
- Blue Paper - Moby
- Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis Presley
Can you think of any more?
[Images from top: If you really want to bet on blue, this backgammon wallpaper in chalkhill blue from Mini Moderns is for you; This Mandarin Flowers fabric from Sanderson is simply stylish. Below: Go for a retro blue bathroom with these Iznik tiles from Ann Sacks, still made in the small Turkish town of Iznik; Light up your life with the Fin Light by Tom Dixon from the Lollopop Shoppe; You won’t feel blue for long with something this lovely - Morrocon Leather Pouffe from Bohemia Design; Finally, add a touch of elegant blue with Joanna Charlotte art and Night Owl bed linen at ACHICA.
The ACHICA Living blog brings you style inspiration from ACHICA.
Already a member of ACHICA.com? Click here for current shopping promotions.
Not yet a member? It’s free to join ACHICA.com to get your daily dose of shopping promotions.
Like the ACHICA Facebook page here.
Follow ACHICA on Twitter here
Follow ACHICA on Pinterest here
For beautiful furniture, accessories and daily design ideas for your home and lifestyle,
shop at ACHICA.
Katie Treggiden, Guest Editor
View all posts by Katie Treggiden, Guest Editor