There’s something very inviting about a lemon flavoured cake. It doesn’t matter what time of year it is it will always work. This one is from Leiths’ Baking Bible by Susan Spaull and Fiona Burrell, published by Bloomsbury and is as you would imagine – divine to eat and really easy to make.
Leiths’ St Clement’s Cake
Makes a 17cm/7 inch cake
170g/6oz butter, softened
Grated zest and juice of 1 medium orange
2 room-temperature eggs, beaten
170g/6 oz self-raising flour
3 tablespoons lemon curd
225g/8oz icing sugar, sifted
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1. Heat the oven to 180 ◦C/350◦F/gas mark 4. Greas 2 x 17cm/7 in sandwich tins and line the bases with baking parchment, cut to fit.
2. Cream the butter with an electric beater and, when soft, add the sugar and beat until pale and fluffy. Add the orange zest.
3. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in the flour and add the orange juice.
4. Divide the mixture between the prepare tins and smooth the tops with a spatula. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are well-risen, golden and feel spongy to the fingertips.
5. Allow the cakes to cool for a few minutes in the tins, then turn out on to a wire rack. Peel off the lining paper. Invert the cakes so that they cool the right-side up.
6. Sandwich the cakes together with the lemon curd.
7. Put the icing sugar in a bowl and add the lemon zest and enough lemon juice to make a thick glacé icing. Spread over the top of the cake.
Shop for delicious foodie delights everyday at the ACHICA Food Hall
For beautiful furniture, accessories and daily design ideas for your home and lifestyle, shop at ACHICA.
Accessories for wine enthusiasts
Traditional Wine Racks
Showcase your wine collection in style
An original alternative to the ice bucket
Dream & Fun: Bed Linen
Vibrant prints & quirky designs
Make the most of your floor space
An innovative twist on the wristwatch
Beautiful baby blankets & children's toys
Vical Home: Glamour
Elegant, eye-catching furniture
Vical Home: Vintage
Furniture designs inspired by the past
The Nostalgic Wall
Decorative plaques with uplifting quotes