At the beginning of this year Pantone announced that the colour of 2012 was a particular shade of orange. They called it Tangerine Tango (or PANTONE 17-1463 if you want to get technical). Until now, there wasn’t much evidence of it, but now that Autumn is drawing in, this colour is everywhere. It can be used as a bright accent colour combined with neutrals, or matched with other bright colours to create a really bold scheme. It goes really well with black, white and beige – as well as contrasting colours like turquoise, green and purple. You can combine it with yellow and red for a really fiery look, or with brown for a retro vibe. And we have a sneaky suspicion that orange and grey might just knock yellow and grey off the design industry’s colour-combination pedestal. Watch this space.
Orange is said the generate feelings of excitement and enthusiasm and make you more creative – so it could be a good colour for a work space. Being a citrus colour, orange is also associated with healthy eating and stimulates the appetite, so you could also use it in the kitchen or dining room. But Frank Sinatra put it best: “Orange is the happiest colour.”
Songs with orange in the title are a little hard to come by. Here are five – can you think of any more?
- Orange Crush by R.E.M.
- Orange Rolls, Angel’s Spits by Sonic Youth
- Peeling An Orange by Talk Show
- Pink Orange Red by Cocteau Twins
- Three Orange Lights by Atmos
Five fun facts about orange:
1. The Dutch national football team’s nickname is Oranje, (Dutch for orange). The Netherlands royal family owns the principality of Orange and so that’s their national colour.
2. ‘Safety orange’ is used to distinguish things from their surroundings – think like traffic cones.
3. There are lots of naturally occurring orange stones: amber, orange calcite and fire agate to name a few.
4. It’s said to be the ‘marmite’ of colours, with more people either loving or hating it than any other colour.
5. Celebrity chef Mario Batali’s loves the colour and uses it in everything from footwear to cookware. He is rarely seen without his signature orange Crocs.
Take Pantone’s trend prediction literally and add a some colour to your home…
If that’s not enough for you, you could go the whole hog and install an entire kitchen in the shade – like this Monolite Artelinea one.
Or opt for the Mini Moka Silkscreen Print for something a little less literal…
Mini Moderns are always ahead of the curve, so if they’re doing grey and orange, you know it’s the next big thing – and we love the paisley wallpaper too.
These fabulous contemporary coffee table and book shelf from Interstil at ACHICA will make a bold statement in your home.
Shop the shade and get inspiration at ACHICA.
For beautiful furniture, accessories and daily design ideas for your home and lifestyle, shop at ACHICA.
The foundations of family food prep
Come Dine With Me
Score highly with kitchen & serveware
Exquisite jewellery on a whimsical theme
Oaks Lighting: Indoor
Quality lighting across the style spectrum
Oaks Lighting: Outdoor
Cast light on patios, paths & terraces
Contemporary Art Acquisitions
The ACHICA Fine Art platform presents...
The Silk Collection by belledorm
Gorgeous linens & filled bedding
The Rug Store
Earth-tone patterns for your floor
Unveil your inner artist with drawing materials
Delve in to enticing recipes & fiction favourites