The wet and windy weather has arrived and it’s all too easy to hide under a duvet with both hands tightly wrapped around a cup of hot chocolate. But listen up – inspiration is not be found under there, so here are some top tips for places to see and things to do that will get you in a creative mood…
1. Deck the walls: Get yourself along to London’s Soho and be inspired by a new collection of bright and bold graphic art at Outline Editions’ (pictured above) latest pop-up exhibition – at the Lomography store on Newburgh Street. And if you can get out of there without buying some cool camera accessories, you’ve got more will power than the whole ACHICA team put together.
2. Leaf it out: It’s Autumn, so you might as well embrace it. Wrap up warm, get outside and collect some autumn leaves (or rope in some energetic, willing children to do that bit for you!) and then come over all Kirstie Allsopp and use them to create your very own screen printed masterpiece. (Screen printing kits are available from craft shops nationwide.)
3. Architectural Tour: The RIBA Stirling Prize winner has now been announced so why not go and take a look yourself? The Sainsbury Laboratory in Cambridge was designed by Stanton Williams and combines the functionality of a laboratory with a public botanic garden café, so you can even have a piece of cake while you’re there. And if you’re not in Cambridge, there are shortlisted buildings in Glasgow, London, Wakefield and Belfast.
4. It’s raining, it’s pouring: Wish you could make it stop? Well, contemporary art group Random International has created a digital installation at the Barbican that lets you experience how it might feel to control the rain. And the best bit? In ‘Rain Room’, the sound of water and the moisture in the air give the impression of being in the middle of a downpour, but you won’t get wet!
5. Read all about it: If you really can’t bring yourself to leave the house, how about getting the inspiration to come to you? November is seeing a glut of fabulous magazines. The Simple Things is a new magazine all about enjoying the everyday. Mid-Century Magazine does exactly what it says on the tin – and does it very well indeed. WRAP magazine is predominantly about surface design, it’s beautifully produced, (smells gorgeous) and each issue comes with five double-sided pull-out sheets of wrapping paper. Finally Elle Decoration Country Volume 1 hits the shops on November 23rd and showcases the most beautiful country homes in the world.
The ACHICA Living blog brings you style inspiration from ACHICA.
For beautiful furniture, accessories and daily design ideas for your home and lifestyle, shop at ACHICA.
The foundations of family food prep
Come Dine With Me
Score highly with kitchen & serveware
Exquisite jewellery on a whimsical theme
Oaks Lighting: Indoor
Quality lighting across the style spectrum
Oaks Lighting: Outdoor
Cast light on patios, paths & terraces
Contemporary Art Acquisitions
The ACHICA Fine Art platform presents...
The Silk Collection by belledorm
Gorgeous linens & filled bedding
The Rug Store
Earth-tone patterns for your floor
Unveil your inner artist with drawing materials
Delve in to enticing recipes & fiction favourites