These tasty, mini meringue hearts can be eaten as they are (simply yummy) or added to a dessert or cake as a sweet Valentine’s Day decoration. Put them in a jar, tied with a little pink ribbon to create the perfect gift for a friend with a sweet tooth. Or, keep them for yourself and pop them on display in the kitchen. There are different ways to make meringues, each equally light, crisp and heavenly but this is the most simple and popular way for home bakers.
You will need:
175g caster sugar
Mixing aid or large bowl and hand mixer (must be completely dry)
Food colouring of your choice
1. Firstly, line a baking tray with the baking parchment and using a pencil draw lots of hearts onto the paper, big, small any size you like. If you are not confident at drawing, cut a heart stencil out of card and use it as your guide.
2. Preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1
3. Separate the three eggs, keeping the white but making sure each egg is completely free of any yolk, shell etc. They will loose their fluffiness otherwise.
4. Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk on a slow speed for two minutes.
5. Continue whisking for a further minute on a medium speed until a soft peak is formed from the mix.
6. Now, whisk on a high speed until a stiff peak is formed.
7. Add one tablespoon of sugar at a time to the mix, continuing to whisk on a high speed.
8. Repeat, until all the sugar has been whisked in well and the meringue mix has stiff peaks with a shiny appearance. Add a drop of food colouring for your final whisk.
9. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag. Pipe your heart shapes onto the prepared baking sheet using your stencils as a guide.
10. Finally, bake the meringue hearts for 1-2 hours until they are crisp and dry. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
Once they are completed cold, they can be peeled off the lining paper. They can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week.
Chara’s Top Tips:
Don’t forget! For the best results when making meringues the egg whites must be at room temperature.
Why not separate your meringue mix into two or three separate bowls and colour each one separately with your favourite colours.
Shop for gourmet foods at ACHICA here
For more delicious recipes click here
For beautiful furniture, accessories and daily design ideas for your home and lifestyle,
shop at ACHICA.
Chara Georgiou, Guest Baker
View all posts by Chara Georgiou, Guest Baker