We love a moody interior. An intimate dining space that sparkles in candlelight looks fabulous, and deep shades can create a scheme that’s both intriguing and cocooning. But sometimes what you crave is the opposite of dramatic. Instead, a fresh and sunny scheme is what you’re after. A burst of yellow in your interiors will do the trick nicely, and it’s a big trend this season, too. Feel like saluting the sun? Here are some of our favourite ideas.
1. Prefer to be gently woken by the first rays of the rising sun rather than the dustmen shouting to each other outside your window? Us, too. We can’t promise to quiet your street, or bring you an amazing sunrise come to that, but swapping curtains for sunshine yellow shutters will get you a lot of the way there. These shutters are from Shutterly Fabulous, above.
2. Bring yellow into the kitchen. Yellow is an energetic colour, so it’s great for a sociable kitchen-diner that’s the centre of a busy home. Used on kitchen units, it makes a statement, but it won’t suck the light out of your room in the same way as other look-at-me shades like red or purple might, making it an ideal option for a room without generous levels of natural light, or a household that doesn’t have a reckless approach to electricity consumption. Parapan kitchen units in Zest Yellow, pictured below.
3. If your taste in interiors tends to modern country rather than ultra contemporary, yellow is still the perfect kitchen shade. Tongue and groove painted in custard yellow is a great combination, or – even easier – add the shade in accessories you can show off on open shelving for a warm and wonderful look. Medium Cool refrigerator, John Lewis of Hungerford, pictured below.
4. Yellow can be sophisticated as well as uplifting. Go for an egg yolk version and it’ll feel rich and welcoming in a living space. White woodwork helps keep the effect fresh, and it you’re lucky enough to have some architectural detail in your room, use white here as well. India Yellow paint, Farrow & Ball, pictured below.
5. Make your bath a focal point in pretty pastel yellow. You want to feel warm as well as be warm when you’ve retreated to your sanctuary space, and a pale sunshine tone is the perfect way to evoke that gentle heat. La Provence bath in yellow, Catchpole & Rye, pictured below.
6. Add some decorative accents in your home with these flashy yellow ceiling lamps from Arturo Alvarez.
For more beautiful homeware in every shade of yellow shop at ACHICA.
For beautiful furniture, accessories and daily design ideas for your home and lifestyle,
shop at ACHICA.
Sarah Warwick, Guest Editor
View all posts by Sarah Warwick, Guest Editor