There’s a lot more to Cornwall than amazing beaches, pasties, cream teas and surfing. Thanks to the University College Falmouth, the creative industry there is thriving. Here are five of the best designers and makers of contemporary design in Cornwall…
1. First up, MARK, which stands for Made and Realised in Kernow (which is Cornish for Cornwall). John Miller and Anna Hart work with a range of designers from all over the world to product a stunning range of furniture in Britain’s most Southwesterly county.
2. Next up Tom Raffield, who studied at University College Falmouth (and is now technically based in Devon). He created a new method of steam-bending wood while he was still at University and has been creating wooden works of wonder ever since.
3. Twin brothers Sam and Will Boex founded their eponymous design agency in 2004. We first spotted them on the strangely addictive Channel 4 daytime TV show, Four Rooms, with a prototype of their Pencil Bench, made of 1,600 individually sprung pink pencils.
4. We discovered Felix McCormack at New Designers One Year On this year and immediately fell in love with his concrete based Spargo Lamps. Thumbs up for the Stool Lamp, made from a recycled pyrex chemical jar and timber off-cuts.
5. And last but not least, the lovely Charlotte Tangye designs and makes gorgeous homewares inspired by Falmouth Harbour. We think her colourful coastal inspired lampshades are perfect for this season.
So next time you head South West for some sunshine, step off the well trodden tourist trail and see what other treasures you can discover…
For beautiful furniture, accessories and daily design ideas for your home and lifestyle,
shop at ACHICA.
Katie Treggiden, Guest Editor
View all posts by Katie Treggiden, Guest Editor